Saturday, March 03, 2007

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life


I'm reading this book right now and enjoying it immensely; it's filled with brief alphabetical entries which are insightful, hilarious, though-provoking and informative, sometimes all at the same time. In some ways, the book reminds me of a particularly well-written and interesting blog. I particularly liked this entry:
(quote)
"GROCERY CART
As I was paying at the grocery store, I noticed I forgot to put what was on the bottom of my cart on the conveyor belt. In a split second, I had to decide: Bad Girl - Say nothing, save a couple bucks, be on my way...OR...Good Girl - Point to the rose, tell her I forgot, add it to the bill. I was in a hurry and didn't really want to take the time to be good...but somehow the combination of the solitary orangey-pink rose and the doelike faces of my kids standing there pushed me into the honorable camp. Fine. I forked over the extra $2.11 and off we went. Epilogue: While unpacking the groceries at home, I realized the rose was still sitting there at the store, paid for, on the bottom of the cart."
(endquote)

No comments: