Saturday, March 03, 2007

More Soda



I commented on just how different I think that Coke and Pepsi are, and how I don't think that Pepsi even comes close as an approximation. What is striking to me, then, is how similar I think Mr. Pibb and Dr Pepper are. I'm not even sure I could tell the difference if I took a blindfold taste test; there must be something about the Dr Pepper flavorings which are easier to isolate and thus copy than for Coca-Cola.

According to Google, there are a number of Dr Pepper imitations, including but not limited to:

"Dr. Dazzle" distributed by ALDI Inc.
"Dr. Slice", "Dr. Faygo" marketed by Faygo Family Beverages Inc.
"Dr. Smooth" marketed by President's Choice
"Dr. Hy-Top" marketed by Federated Group
"Dr. Chek" in Winn-Dixie supermarkets
"Dr. Bold" and "Dr A+" in Albertsons supermarkets
"Dr. Perky" in Food Lion supermarkets
"Dr Thunder" distributed in Wal-Mart stores
"Dr. Bash" distributed by Bashas' stores
"Dr. B" in H-E-B grocery stores
"Dr. Bob" sold in Stop & Shop Supermarkets
"Dr. Weis" Distributed by Weis Markets, and "Dr. Celeste" marketed by The Pantry
"Dr. Spice" distributed in Target Stores
"Dr. Hy-Vee" distributed at Hy-Vee grocery stores
"Dr. K" distributed at Costco, Kroger and Fred Meyer locations
"Dr. Radical", made by Adirondack Beverage Company
"Dr. Shaw's", made by Shaw's Supermarkets, Inc.
"Dr Wild", made by J G Meyer First Choice
"Dr. M" made by Meijer, "Dr. W" made by Wegmans
"Dr.Publix" made by Publix
"Dr. Wow", distributed by Topco

I'd be willing to bet than just about any of these are closer to Dr Pepper than the miriad colas are to Coca-Cola.

Addendum: the alt.fan.dr.pepper website lists a few key ingredients:
Vanillin
Extract of Almond
Denatured Rum (i.e. with the alcohol removed)
Oil of Orange
Lactic Acid

There's also a mention of the advertised '23 flavors' being a marketing fiction. I wouldn't be too surprised, since a labratory analysis once revealed that KFC's advertised blend of 11 herbs and spices to be made up entirely of salt and pepper (I don't have the specific reference but it was in one of William Poundstone's series of "Big Secrets" books).

No comments: