Saturday, March 31, 2007

Strangest Movie I Have Ever Seen


This movie had received critical raves as a groundbreaking feat in the field of traditional hand-drawn animation. Sufficiently curious, I rented the film from Netflix and sat down, ready to be blown away. Some of the visuals were indeed quite incredible, and the care taken in the production was obvious, but I was not only bewildered by the plot but actually felt as though I had entered a strange dream. I felt as though someone had slipped some strange mind-altering drug into my food, as my mind had trouble keeping up with the unusual visuals and dreamy plotline.

For what it's worth, the movie scored an astounding 97% on the Rotten Tomatoes scale, so the critics either enjoyed the dreamy aura of the film or I am really missing something. It definitely has my vote as the most unusual film I have ever seen.

(Close runner-up: Waking Life, which also induced a feeling of having taken some strange mind-altering substance.)

No comments: